Monday 8 April 2013

Bangkok Jam

Bangkok! Reminded me of friendly locals, rich culture, good food, warm weather, cheap clothes and nail works..people who went there will love to go back again soon!

And someone dares to open a restaurant called Bangkok Jam! I came across a poster pasted on a pillar of Wheelock Place basement. It only stated the unit number, so I was wondering if it is located in ION or Wheelock Place. I tried my luck at Wheelock and there you have it..

If we entered the restaurant 30 minutes later, we had to queue and starve and drool while watching people drink tom yum...



 New coasters that I almost wanted to bring home..the good guy on my shoulder told me not to..

 The place has black theme, waiters are wearing all black too. At 6-ish pm, the place was almost packed already!

 Colorful menu..love it..

Without hesitating, we ordered Seafood Clear Tom Yum (poh tak talay), Seafood Phad Thai (phad thai talay) and Stir-fried Minced Chicken with Basil (prad kra prow gai). Simple dishes yet traditional and will test the skills of the chef..

While waiting, my migraine was building up by the noise level circulated in the restaurant..it was almost packed (not yet fully packed) but not sure whether it was because of the low ceiling or the interior design that reflected the noises to me..it was no good..I can hear every word from people sitting around the corners, made me abit agitated. So I kept calling the waiters to pour me ice water to calm me down..and you know what? Bangkok Jam bothered to put in apple and strawberry in their ice water! So far I only experienced a piece of lemon or lime but never apple and strawberry..so refreshing..

Another thing I've noticed was the waiters were really patient with us even though they were short handed..great! I love restaurants with polite and patient waiters. They showed the spirit of Bangkok!

While struggling between the torment of noise and the enjoyment of slightly flavored ice water, our food arrived!

Stir-fried Minced Chicken with Basil ($11.90)

This looks sooooo goood right? It was good indeed..the price is slightly steep for bah chor (minced meat) rice if you must compare the ingredients but it is really a skill to be able to bring out the taste of long beans, basil and chicken, unlike other common stir fried food which has no layers of taste. Made me feel that my rice wasn't enough to enjoy the chicken..

 Seafood Clear Tom Yum ($7.90)

Arghh...this Tom Yum...the bowl was small and it was designed with slanted top..so it was not very friendly for lovey dovey who want to share the soup..design of the bowl aside, the Tom Yum was not really clear as you can see from the picture..haha..my "clear standard" is like Thai Express kind of clear..it was not sour or hot enough, just mild with Tom Yum flavour..and the squid tasted muddy..no idea what was wrong..

Seafood Phad Thai ($11.90)

Their Phad Thai passed our standards..not too sweet and really reminded us of Bangkok..Alightly greasy but still alright. You can give it a try. 

Overall, I appreciated the waiters' effort to keep up with the demands, although they made some mistake and added the next table's extra rice into my bill. I will patronize the place again during non-peak hour when there is lesser noise.

Here are my views:
Ambience 2.5/5
Food 3/5
Service 3/5
Price Affordable
Toilet Availability 0/5 (please use Wheelock Place's toilets)
Check out their nice website at http://www.bangkokjam.com.sg/
Next, River Safari soft opening!
xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment